Philadelphia Pennsylvania Temple

The blessings of the temple are priceless.

— President Thomas S. Monson

During his opening remarks of the 178th Semi-annual General Conference, President Thomas S. Monson announced that Philadelphia, the historical City of Brotherly Love, would be home to Pennsylvania’s first temple. Construction began with a formal groundbreaking on September 17, 2011. It is the 152nd temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the world and serves more than 40,000 Church members in parts of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland and all of Delaware.

After five years of work, the temple was dedicated on September 18, 2016.

Address

1739 Vine Street
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19103

Telephone

215-398-3040

Official Church Website

The Front of the Philadelphia Temple

The front of the temple.

Details of the Philadelphia Temple

Details of the temple.

The north side of the Philadelphia Temple

The north side of the temple.

Window details of the Philadelphia Temple

A window on the north side of the temple.

Temple Facts

Announcement: October 4, 2008
Groundbreaking and Site Dedication: September 17, 2011 by Henry B. Eyring (this was also the 224th anniversary of the signing of the Constitution of the United States at Philadelphia’s Independence Hall)
Public Open House: August 10 – September 9, 2016
Dedication: September 18, 2016 by Henry B. Eyring

The 61,000-square-foot temple features classic Georgian architecture designed to blend with other historic Philadelphia structures. The exterior is enveloped in granite from Maine, and the interior features stone from Egypt and Italy. The building includes original art glass and an oil-painting wall mural of landscapes important in both American and Church history, including the Susquehanna River and the Delaware River.

View more Philadelphia Temple pictures

Save