The Laie Temple was the 5th temple built in the world and the first temple built in Hawaii and Polynesia. It was the first to be built outside of the continental United States. The temple was first dedicated on November 27, 1919, by Heber J. Grant. Since it was originally dedicated it has been remodeled and renovated twice and was rededicated on June 13, 1978 by Spencer W. Kimball and November 21, 2010 by Thomas S. Monson.